The Copy Master Data add-on for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central allows you to copy master data records (G/L Accounts, Vendors, Customers, Fixed Assets and Items), as well as Dimension codes and values, from the current company to one or all other companies.
When the Copy Master Data processing report is run, it will present you with 5 options:
- Table: This option allows you to select what kind of data you want to replicate. Select either ‘G/L Account’, ‘Dimension’, ‘Vendor’, ‘Customer’, ‘Fixed Asset’ or ‘Item’
- Copy To Company: This option selects the specific company you want to replicate the data to
- Copy To All Companies: This option should be used when the data needs to be replicated to all companies. When this option is selected, the “Copy To Company” option is ignored.
- Copy Dimension: If the Table option is set to ‘Dimension’, this option allows you to select which Dimension Code (including all its Dimension Values) will be replicated. When the Table option is set to anything other than ‘Dimension’, this option is ignored.
- Copy All Dimensions: If the Table option is set to ‘Dimension’, this option allows you to replicate all Dimension Codes (along with all the Dimension Values). When the Table option is set to anything other than ‘Dimension’, this option is ignored.
When the options have been set, press Ok. When the replication is complete, you’ll see a message indicating it’s done.
- If a record with the same key does not exist, it will be created in the destination company.
- If a record already exists in the destination company (meaning a record with the same key is found), the data will be updated by Copy Master Data from the record in the current company, if the ‘Overwrite Existing Records’ option is selected. If this option is not selected, the existing record will not be modified.
- When the Table option is set to ‘Dimension’ and Copy Master Data is run, if the Dimension being replicated does not exist in the destination company, it will create the Dimension, and then copy all the dimension values for that Dimension to the destination company.
- The process can automatically create or update any Default Dimensions for any type of data being replicated. You can turn this feature on by selecting ‘Copy Default Dimensions’.